Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Now That I'm a Published Poet

Now that I’m a published poet I can wear a beret
You can wear a beret if you want to,
But it would look silly on you,
Because you are not a published poet.

I can wear puffy shirts, too,
And write with a quill pen
But it would seem a little gay if you did it,
Because you are not a published poet.

Now that I’m a published poet
I am legally licensed to carry a metaphor
Or at least I will be whenever I get a card
From the Department of Poetic Security.

But I am already licensed to handle similes
I’m quick with them, too, firing them ratatatat
At low-flying bits of nature.I always hit my target,
Because I’m a published poet.

Now that I’m a published poet
I am allowed to use words you can’t
(No, not those kinds of words)
I mean words like--Genre, strophe, and ennui.

As an amateur, you should never
Put a word like ennui in your mouth
Not even smothered in barbeque sauce.
Cause you don’t know where it’s been.

Now that I’m a published poet.
I’m legally entitled to look morose
I can even look soulful without being laughed at
Your try that, and see what happens!
They’d laugh you off the bus.

Now that I’m a published poet.
(And this is the best part)
I am entitled be called
An eccentric genius
Instead of a crazy old man.

No comments: